[Discuss-gnuradio] IEEE 802.11 MAC Layer Implementation

From: Halit Bugra Tulay
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] IEEE 802.11 MAC Layer Implementation
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 15:33:33 -0500

Hello everyone,

I m looking for IEEE802.11p MAC&PHY layer implementation, there is gr-ieee802-11 for the physical layer but it is the just physical layer.  For multiple users scenarios, I especially need the CSMA/CA mechanism. After some research, I see that people agree on the implementation of MAC layer on FPGA because of time-sensitive tasks. There are several attempts addressing this issue for SDRs(There are also pure hardware implementations for PHY and MAC layer like WARP project), I found the followings:

  1. An IEEE 802.11 MAC Software Defined Radio Implementation for Experimental Wireless Communications and Networking Research
  2. Enabling MAC Protocol Implementations on Software-Defined Radios
  3. Timing Matter: Standard Compliant IEEE802.11 Channel Access for a fully software-based SDR Architecture

The first one is software implementation(PHY&MAC on the host PC) and it s not compliant. The second and third are hybrid solutions(Some MAC functions on FPGA and others on host PC). Especially the third one shows standard compliant broadcast transmission by implementing the solution with N210.

I have an X300 and I think RFNOC might provide a good solution at this point. Is there any implementation for IEEE802.11 MAC layer ? or What do you suggest for this?

Best,

-Bugra Tulay