Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to count number of samples in a packet?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to count number of samples in a packet?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 10:07:28 -0500

Hi Dara - Welcome to GNU Radio! Sounds like you have a fun project to get yourself motivated.

It sounds like what you're looking for is, when using the provided tx_ofdm.grc flowgraph, how to convert from an input packet of data of some arbitrary length into the OFDM frames so-as to add on the USRP tags for burst Tx ... yes?

Assuming you're using the default values (48 carriers, 3 header frames, CRC32) along with (as you say) BPSK for header & QPSK for payload & FFT size == 64, then you end up with the following equation for an input data of length "packet_len":

#output OFDM frames = int(ceil(float((packet_len+4)*8)/float(48*2))+3)

--> where the "4" is for the CRC32 (4 bytes); the "8" is bits / byte; the "48" is the number of active carriers (out of a possible 64, though the DC bin isn't used so really 63 of fft_len-1); the "2" is the number of bits / payload symbol (QPSK -> 2; so if you used 16QAM then this would be 4 instead of 2), and "3" is the number of header OFDM frames (regardless of the constellation chosen: bpsk, qpsk, whatever).

You can multiply the output OFDM frames value by "fft_len+cyclic_prefix_len" (which for fft_len == 64 -> cyclic_prefix_len == fft_len / 4 == 16 ==> == 80 total by default) to get the total number of output complex symbols to add the burst tags too.

I've used this equation to compute sample rate changes and it is correct. Is this what you're looking for? Hope this helps & good luck! - MLD