Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Softbits in gr-ieee 802.11 ?

From: sumit kumar
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Softbits in gr-ieee 802.11 ?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 19:48:06 +0100

On 20 January 2018 at 18:06, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Sumit - OK good I'll take a look when I get a chance. In the meantime, 3 thoughts come to mind:

1) If done correctly, you don't need to modify GR at all. Your new constellation class is purely in your OOT (or, gr-ieee-802.11 in this case). You create the base class in your OOT & inherit from it in your OOT too. All is done in the OOT; easier that way, and you can add special methods as you see fit, and/or fix issues.

Yes I also believe so i.e. I mostly have to be inside OOT. May be to save your time, I share this link with you where the author has discussed the hacks he did with constellation class of gnuradio and made his own. I just replicated them step by step. https://www.bastibl.net/constellation-objects/

2) In order for SWIG to do it's magic on a non-block base class & inheriting class, you need some special SWIG sauce. This might already be done in gr-ieee-802.11; I'll check when I get there. GR does it via a special file that's included into one of the main gr-digital .i SWIG files; for specifics see this file < https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/gr-digital/swig/constellation.i > & the top-level SWIG file for gr-digital here (at the very end) < https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/gr-digital/swig/digital_swig0.i >.

3) There is already a method for handling soft decoding that you can overload if you want to: "calc_soft_dec" < https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/gr-digital/include/gnuradio/digital/constellation.h#L163 >. You might want to check it out instead of creating a new method.

Yes indeed, I know. I was thinking to get this issue solve. Doing so will save me sending 10 more queries to the mailing list :)

If you succeed over the weekend, please do let us know. If I get some spare time to look into this over the weekend I'll let you know. Cheers! - MLD

--
Sumit Kumar