Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Timestamping baseband samples

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Timestamping baseband samples
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 17:17:02 +0100

Hi ben,

the Ettus USRP series of devices (N2x0, B2xx, E3xx, X3xx, N3xx) have RX
sample time stamping that you can find as tags in your sample flow.

That means they can annotate a sample buffer with the device time of
the first contained sample. The device time can be set according to an
external standard, if helpful (e.g. a GPS clock).

You won't find anything surprising in there: The first received item
will have a tag containing the device time at which that sample was
received. From there on, you can use (sample number)/(sampling rate) to
calculate the device time corresponding to each packet. Since absolute
time doesn't matter to your application, you could just as well do
without that tag and simply count samples. With the timestamps, you
still count samples, and add the timestamp from the first sample.
There's no additional information that helps you solve the two-clock
problem to be gained here.

Best regards,
Marcus