[Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction for GSoC participation

From: swapnil negi
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Introduction for GSoC participation
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 20:23:26 +0530

Hi,
I am Swapnil Negi, an Electronics and Communication undergraduate at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India. I am highly interested in contributing towards GNU Radio as my GSoC project.
I am done with setting up the project and have gone through the guided tutorial on gnuradio-companion. Right now, I am learning to program GNU Radio in python and C++.
I am a member Information Management Group, a student group responsible for maintaining institute's website and intranet applications; Programming and Algorithms Group, a student group aimed at spreading culture for programming and mathematical algorithms among students. So, I am moderately fluent in python and C++.
I have had courses on "Signals and Systems" and "Principles of digital communication" in my academic curriculum which I found pretty interesting, so I am highly enthusiastic about working with GNU Radio this summer.
I have checked out the ideas list. Two of the ideas suit me:
1. CtrlPort backend implementation: I, myself faced issues with the thrift version so I really wish to improvise this. I have started reading about remote procedural calls, message queues, etc, the differences and benefits of different message queues like level of abstraction, ease of implementation, etc. It seems interesting to me.
2. gr-modtool overhaul: I haven't gone through the code structure of gr-modtool but the concept is really interesting. It will also help me get the real feeling of GNU Radio. I saw the present series of if's and else's and would like to work on improvising this.

I am not very sure of how to start contributing to the project, so it will very helpful if I can get your guidance. I will be highly obliged.
Thanks.