[Discuss-gnuradio] Feature Freeze on master this Wednesday (2018-03-07)

From: CEL
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Feature Freeze on master this Wednesday (2018-03-07)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 19:40:23 +0000

Hello everybody!

We've seen an impressive influx of bug fixes and features over the last
few weeks; just to give you a couple of numbers:

In the last 30 days, nearly 60 pull requests have been opened, of which
10 are still outstanding. For that, I'd like to say "thank you" to
everyone who opened a pull request, commented on one, reviewed code or
opened an issue.

With that amount of wind in our sails, we can take the next step, and
prepare for a release.
For that simple reason, starting on coming Wednesday, I'll ask everyone
to temporarily stop making patches for master. Important bugfixes for
maint are still welcome, but if possible, do give me an early warning.

As soon as the feature freeze is in effect, I'll merge maint into
master, and then master into next. We then fix the outstanding issues
for the 3.7.12 milestone, release that, and switch over:
With that release commit, we start a maint-3.7 branch (for bugfixes),
and what's next now will become master.

I'm pretty excited about having a new GNU Radio release – I hope you
are, too – and am looking forward to our new development model,
hopefully making a lot of things move faster (for the developers) and
with less pain (for the maintainers).

The feature freeze doesn't apply to next, so far. I'll have to freeze
that for a couple of hours during the time when we merge back master
for the very last time, but I don't think we'll see that as a
disruption.

Best regards,
Marcus