Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Accessing the ADI registers on B200mini

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Accessing the ADI registers on B200mini
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 11:58:19 -0500

On 03/08/2018 10:43 AM, Firdavs Pulat wrote:
Hi all,

Are there APIs as part of gnuradio that give access to the low level ADI registers (to both probe, and set)? For instance, I'm trying to see if the AGC is currently turned on on B200mini, and if it's, what kind of mode it is on (e.g., slow or fast). Looking at it the USRP manual online, I see functions like set_agc, set_agc_mode, etc. I just don't have any idea how/where to actually use/set these. Could anyone please help me out?

Thanks!

No need to tinker with ADI registers.

The multi_usrp API provides access to a set_rx_agc function:

https://files.ettus.com/manual/classuhd_1_1usrp_1_1multi__usrp.html#abdab1f6c3775a9071b15c9805f866486

However, you'd have to extend the Gnu Radio multi_usrp "wrapper" (in gr-uhd in the main Gnu Radio codebase) to provide access to set_rx_agc().

Note that in many cases, hardware AGC doesn't really work the way you'd like it to, since its "world view" may be very very different than the view
  of your particular application.