Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems with dvbt 8k 64QAM

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems with dvbt 8k 64QAM
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 13:40:37 -0700

The test file adv16.cfile is only meant to work with the parameters of the test flow graph dvbt_rx_8k.grc. Specifically, 16QAM, 2/3 rate, 1/32 guard interval.

The GNU Radio DVB-T receiver is very CPU resource intensive. I have an E5-1650 based workstation (6 cores/12 threads at 3.6 GHz) and it can just barely do 64QAM 2/3 rate in an 8 MHz channel.

Depending on your CPU, you may have to drop down to QPSK and/or a smaller channel size. To change the channel size, change the sample rate equation from (8000000.0 * 8) / 7 to:

(8000000.0 * 7) / 7    /* 7 MHz */

(8000000.0 * 6) / 7    /* 6 MHz */

(8000000.0 * 5) / 7    /* 5 MHz */

or as low as you need to go to make things work. Note that any overflow will restart the symbol acquisition, and a chunk of video will be lost causing glitchy playback. If there are too many overflows, the receiver will never lock.

Ron