Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using Different Compilers

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using Different Compilers
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 15:20:02 -0400

On 03/18/2018 03:01 PM, address@hidden wrote:
As u know gnuradio have problem with threading especially with Xeon cpu.

Somebody advise me by using Intel Parallel Studio , we can optimize threading in Linux , therefore in gnuradio

My purpose of using Intel Parallel Studio is optimizing threading in gnuradio with Xeon cpu

Gnu Radio has no problem with *threading*, since each block runs in its own thread.   What IS true is that GCC doesn't always recognize
  opportunities to exploit SIMD instructions as well as other compilers.

The VOLK library exists to allow blocks to *explicitly* take advantage of parallelism opportunities with whatever SIMD instructions the hardware
  is capable of, and many of the core blocks in Gnu Radio already take advantage of VOLK.

My suspicion is that the gains you'll get from a compiler that is better able to recognize opportunities for parallelism that GCC will be modest at best.