Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC2018] Adding Passive radar and multiple devi

From: suraj hanchinal
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC2018] Adding Passive radar and multiple device support to gr-radar toolbox
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 01:23:55 +0530

Hi Martin
Thank you Martin for the suggestions. You are right about the vagueness. I was not able to properly communicate all the ideas in my head. I have actually thought about the clutter removal algorithms and have updated the proposal with the same. As you and Marcus said, the schedule was way too tight and I had not given time for code reviewing and pull requests. I have updated that as well. I have included a basic GUI which should be enough to demonstrate the capabilities of the toolbox. Also I have written about signal recovery as well as signal synchronization. I have added which devices will be supported and have used a simple WiFi based algorithm instead of the very complicated one. I will link the proposal below.

Thank you,

Regards,

Suraj Hanchinal

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 2:49 AM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
On 03/23/2018 11:26 AM, Müller, Marcus (CEL) wrote:
> Hi Suraj,
>
> thank you very much for sending us your proposal! This already looks
> very nice. Can I wish for you to add something like a rough block
> diagram that describes how your simulated illuminator, your signal
> recoverer, your radar estimator and your clutter reducer work
> together, and which information you plan on letting these exchange?
> That would allow us to "mentally" map what you're doing each week in
> your proposed timeline to components of the system.
>
> All in all, this is pretty ambitious, but exciting!

Sure is!

There's a couple of typos in the proposal, and I always think that
distracts from the quality of content and the content itself.

My main issue with this proposal is its vagueness. I would recommend you
expand the sections that explain the algorithms you want to implement *a
lot*. In particular, we need to know if you've understood the underlying
math, DSP, and implementation requirements.
Do you have thoughts on a clutter removal algorithm? Like Marcus says,
it will better to do a simple approach first. You could, e.g. remove all
zero-Doppler targets.
As a result of this vagueness, I believe the timeline is probably
inaccurate.

GUIs are nice, but you should either make them stretch goals, or actual
first-class citizens.
It's always better to limit your main deliverables to make sure there's
time for cleanup and merging. What if the gr-radar maintainer has issues
with your pull requests? You're planning to add a of stuff. Were you
planning on submitting PRs continuously? If so, I recommend writing that.

I'm also curious how you do your signal recovery.

The overall proposal is interesting, though, no doubt about that!

-- M