Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] spectrum monitoring / very wide band scanning

From: CEL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] spectrum monitoring / very wide band scanning
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 12:33:29 +0000

The 450 ms are indeed a generous upper boundary for tune duration –
however, since the B200 can't sample-time analog tunes, you'd do well
not to calculate much less; the B200 is generally much faster at
tuning, but when crossing certain frequency span boundaries, there's a
single tune that might take that long. You can probably test your
tuning sequence once and identify the tune step that takes that long,
and wait much shorter on all the other tunes.

Regarding RTL dongles: Same problem as B200, no possibility to know at
which sample a tune happened, exactly, so you need some safety margin.
Considering the cost, and the low bandwidth, and the low filter
fidelity, I'd argue, however, that you'd probably want even number of
RTL dongles to receive simultaneously, so that you can tune one half
while the other half generates "valid" signal.

You might want to do some hacks with the RTL dongles to share an
oscillator, so that they don't randomly differ in understanding of
frequency and in sample rate.

Best regards,
Marcus