Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Avoiding divide by zero in case of input being ze

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Avoiding divide by zero in case of input being zero.
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 01:25:08 -0400

On 03/31/2018 01:18 AM, Anshul Thakur wrote:
Hi Gilad,

You are correct about getting zeros when using history and I am using history. But, I am accounting for that by using the offset:

const gr_complex *current = (const gr_complex *)&((const gr_complex *)input_items[0])[(history() -1)];

Also, if that is the case, shouldn't the behaviour be consistent across unit-tests and flowgraph usage?

Regarding getting 0s from the device, I went through the discussion. I agree to it. So, I'll have to account for the zero values. Any ideas on how to do that?

The reason why I don't want to use an 'if' block is simply because the situation of 0 values is expected to share a very small fraction of the entire run and
to handle that small case, the regular cases will also necessarily have to go through that additional 'if' check. I wanted to avoid that.

Regards,
Anshul
Assuming that your input voltages are uniformly distributed about zero, and we'll say for the sake of argument that we're talking a 12-bit sampler,
   and we model the input as a purely-random process (it isn't of course) then the density of numerical zeros will be about 1/2048 in the data stream.

That's a lot of zeros.