Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hello GNURadio from the Amateur Radio World

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hello GNURadio from the Amateur Radio World
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 22:10:15 -0400

On 05/26/2018 09:44 PM, Dan CaJacob wrote:
Will,

I think you will find a wide variety of real-world applications GNURadio has been used for. For myself, that includes ground to space and space to ground communications systems, encompassing both common desktop machines as well as embedded processors and FPGAs. Certainly it is easier to write a modem for a desktop CPU, but a good C++ developer (I am not one, but I work with them) can take advantage of pipelined operations in both embedded and desktop CPUs to make distinction between the platforms less crippling. The Volk project even makes this win more or less free (no need to write your own instrinsics) if you profile it for your specific embedded device.

That said, I notice a lot of people new to GR wanting to jump right into doing something hard on a Raspberry Pi or similar SBC. I think you'll find that's generally a mistake. I'd suggest getting comfortable with GR and SDR on the desktop before moving on to embedded systems, because there's a lot to learn in both and it's going to be worse if you have to learn them both at the same time.

- Dan

Another thing I find is that there's a big gap in comprehension about how much 'stuff' happens to each and every sample for even relatively simple
  (from a 10kft view) DSP flows.

"My CPU runs at 2.5GHz, and I'm only bringing in a measly 10MHz, why is this not working for me?"

"Why can't I make a precipitously-steep filter--this is software, after all. It's all kinda virtual, right?"

Folks who are coming at this from the "apps" world may never have considered or experienced or pondered exactly what happens inside the "sausage factory" we call a modern operating system. "Sample-arrives---->[MAGIC]----->it's in my app---->[MORE MAGIC]---->cool stuff happens".

If you're coming from a world where real-world "events" happen at the rate of user-clicks, thinking about being responsive to "events" that may be happening millions of times per second may be a bit of a cognitive shock...

Just random thoughts from years and years watching this ballet play out....