Re: Doppler

From: Daniel Estévez
Subject: Re: Doppler
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 10:53:51 +0100

On 01/01/2024 07:51, Jiya Johnson wrote:
Yes I want to use 10GHz/s

Hi all,

Besides the physical considerations that Marcus and Marcus have mentioned, I *think* it should be possible to adapt the flowgraph you attached in your first message to generate correctly a chirp waveform at 10GHz/s as you could have in some radars. (Here the "*think*" comes because most of these blocks use float parameters rather than double, which for some specific applications can be insufficient. Here I think this won't be a problem, but I'm not sure until I see it working).

The thing you need to do is to calculate some numbers and use a sensible sample rate for what you want (there is no reasonable way you're going to get a 10 GHz/s sweep in a 1 ksps sample rate, which is what you have in your flowgraph). For instance, say that your chirp waveform sweeps a bandwidth of 100 MHz. At 10 GHz/s, it takes 10 ms to sweep 100 MHz. This gives the period of your sawtooth. Let's say you use a sample rate of 200 Msps, which is good to represent a 100 MHz bandwidth signal with IQ sampling.

Then you need to set the frequency of the sawtooth to 100 Hz ( = 1 / 10 ms). If you want the sawtooth output to have units of Hz, its amplitude should be 100e6 (to achieve a 100 MHz sweep).

The formulas in the flowgraph you have all work correctly to this purpose, but to use them, you nee to set the drift_rate to 10e9 (10 GHz/s), the drift_duration to 10e-3 (10 ms, see above), and the sample rate needs to be at least somewhat higher than 100e6 (say 200e6).

Best,
Daniel.