NSMovieView

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: NSMovieView
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 10:12:37 -0800 (PST)

All,

I have been contemplating the implementation of NSMovieView.   I realize that
in Apple's implementation the class only plays QuickTime files.  I was,
however, thinking of an alternative way which would be much more open and would
make our way more useful.

We could package codecs (for AVI, MOV, MPEG and etc.) into bundles which would
be loaded when a type they recognize is played.

For instance suppose we have "MoviePlayer.codec" which recognizes .mov files
and .avi files.   It does this by a .plist in it's Resources directory which
tells the system which filetypes it can play.   The NSMovieView loads the codec
and then loads the movie and plays it.

One advantage to this is that once we can play QT4 files all we need to do is
to make the codec into a bundle.

Later, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento           Sr. Software Engineer