Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 23:05:44 +0100

Jason H Clouse wrote:
> <<Maybe, but the discussion doesn't go about what I use !, but about the
> usefulness of developing YAXT (yet another X11 toolkit)>>
>
> Are you talking about the AppKit?  I don't really see that as an X11
> toolkit.

No, about gstep-gui (xdps,xgps), which is an X11 toolkit. Nevertheless:
if AppKit isn't an X11 toolkit, what do you think it is (in the ctx of
GS).

> <<and about the focus of GNUstep as a project.>>
>
> This is more to the point.  If we move to GTK, this would be the end of
> GNUstep.  That's why I said you might as well use GTK.  The whole raison
> d'ĂȘtre for the GNUstep project is the (perceived, at least) insufficiency
> of other projects out there.

First: there is not only gtk+. There are others available.
Second: when GNUstep was started there was no gtk+ or Qt or wxWindows.
So the reason for GS can't have been the insufficiency of those
toolkits.

Greetings,
  Helge