GNUstep runtime & putenv()

From: ian . mondragon
Subject: GNUstep runtime & putenv()
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 06:28:51 -0600

**NOTE: i sent this message earlier from another account, but it doesn't
seem to have been delivered.  if this is a duplicate, please disregard it.
:-)

all-

in the past couple of days i have been designing a tool that populates a
user's environment via the GNUstepDefaults as opposed to the traditional
.profile & shell .rc files, which i am calling "gshell".  while the code is
~80% in place, i have come to realize that the GNUstep objc runtime caches
the user environment & restores it to it's original state upon
app/tool/whatever completion, according to the laws of NSProccessInfo - i
have verified this by calling another (straight c) program during execution
& witnessing my work doing exactly what it supposed to do (namely, working),
only to have the environment reset afterwards.

can anyone give me a pointer (har, har) on how to work around this and have
setenv() and putenv() populate the *real* environment instead of the cached
one?

thanks for any/all help.

-ian

@end