Re: Nuke libgmodel? (No!)

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Nuke libgmodel? (No!)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:17:47 -0800 (PST)

--- Georg Fleischmann <georg@vhf.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm porting a 150 000 line application to GNUstep, and I'm using gmodels
> extensively. I wouldn't even consider hardcoding the Interface ;-)

No one is suggesting this.   I personally loathe the idea of hardcoded GUIs,
especially in OPENSTEP or GNUstep applications.

> With every new version of my application, I'm converting (automatically)
> almost 90 nib files (two languages) from OpenStep to gmodel files, and I only
>
> have to modify a few things by hand.
>
> What I really like on the gmodel format is, that it is NOT binary: It is a
> human readable ASCII format. I think this is a major advantage:
>
> - editable by hand
> - easily portable or convertable
> - easy diagnoses of the cause of problems
> - mostly independent to changes in the archiving code
> - nobody is forced to use a specific Interface Builder
>
> Especially Free Software people should value most of these advantages.
>
> All the problems of nib2gmodel, are results of the binary nib files on
> OpenStep and MacOSX.
> Gorm files are binary as well, and this is a BIG BIG minus :-(

I agree.  My point in my previous note was, stated more generally, that we
should focus on *one and only one* format and stick with it.  Rather than
having two formats which sort of work, we should have one which works very
well.

> How about using the gmodel format in Gorm ?

How about making the format for GNUstep be XML based?   I would suggest
replacing both the .gorm and .gmodel formats with such a beast since, not only
does it provide all of the advantages listed above, XML is a widely accepted
standard for such things.