Re: XDPS compile problem

From: Frederic De Jaeger
Subject: Re: XDPS compile problem
Date: 27 Feb 2001 17:25:53 +0100

Adam> The problem there is that AppKit/DPSoperators.h defines a whole bunch of
Adam> operators that are already defined by DPS/dpsops.h. It's really a
Adam> delicate thing. You can't mix DPSOperators.h and dpsops.h because they
Adam> define the same functions (almost). DPSOperators should only be used in
Adam> the frontend (and xgps) and dpsops is only used in the xdps
Adam> backend.

I have a question about the whole structure vaguely related to this.

Must gui know at compile time with which backend it will be linked?

If yes: why aren't the DPSoperators simply the real DPS function (from
DPS/dpsops.h) in the case the backend _is_ xdps. (if the backend is
xgps, we keep the same structure). This will speed up a little bit.

If no: Could the backend be a bundle ? In such a way, it will be very
easy to make binary distributions of applications without needing to
specify at compile time the backend we want to use.

As far as I understand the structure, the answer seems to be no. It
could be great to have this modularity. Is someone working on this ?
If no, I will be pleased to contribute.

Adam> [...] there is still a small chance that someone would want to
Adam> use these functions from the frontend (while mixing, say OpenGL
Adam> with GNUstep).

That's exactly what I'm doing :-)