Re: Decoding archive containing obsolete ... object

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Decoding archive containing obsolete ... object
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:23:41 +0000

On Wednesday, March 14, 2001, at 08:10 AM, trembulak@ales.sk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after I run my GNU application, I have got the following set of
> messages:
>
>  .... Warning - decoding archive containing obsolete
> NSGMutableDictionary object - please delete/replace this archive
> .... Warning - decoding archive containing obsolete NSGCString object -
> please delete/replace this archive
> .... Warning - decoding archive containing obsolete NSGString object -
> please delete/replace this archive
> etc.
>
> What is the reason of this messages ?

Probably an old font cache that needs deleting
(see $(GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT)/Library/Fonts/Cache)

The GNUstep base library has been updated so that private subclasses of
abstract base classes in class clusters are stored in archives as the
abstract class.  This permits the concrete subclasses to be modified in
subsequent versions of the base library without impacting the archives.

Code to unarchive the old format information has been left in the library,
but will be removed with the 1.0 release. This means that archives need
to be regenerated before this happens ... hence the warning.

Hopefully, from 1.0 onwards, future versions of the library will retain
backwards compatibility with archived object formats.