Shared Library Question

From: David Relson
Subject: Shared Library Question
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:48:44 -0500

Greetings,

I'm having a problem with a multi-threaded GNUstep program I'm working on.

If I link it on a Mandrake 7.0 system, the program runs fine and I can debug it (using gdb) without any problems. If I link on a Mandrake 7.2 system, it runs fine, but I have problems with gdb - specifically "Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap."

The SIGTRAP is in one of several routines in /libc/libc.so.6, i.e. nanosleep(), sigsuspend(), and pthread_setconcurrency(). These routines are called for reasons like thread creation, use of locks (for resource protection or thread synchronization), timed delays (for one-minute heartbeats). The SIGTRAP always happens, though the location varies a bit.

After investigating, I think the problem relates to the shared libraries on the two systems, in particular libc and pthread. The two systems have:

        Mandrake 7.0 - /lib/libc-2.1.2.so and /lib/libpthread-0.7.so
        Mandrake 7.2 - /lib/libc-2.1.3.so and /lib/libpthread-0.8.so

One solution might be to link with the older libraries. Suggestions on other solutions would be appreciated.

Can anybody steer me towards information on how to link with and use a particular library version?

Thanks.

David
David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson@osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800