Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework

From: strobe anarkhos
Subject: Re: Attempting to Create Obj-C Gecko Framework
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:29:52 -0700

At 10:43 AM +0100 4/10/01, Richard Dale wrote:

>> I'd advise against using Qt. If you stick with AppKit controls your code
>> will work in OS X. Also Qt is commercial (free only if your code is free,
>> but non-free code using your code may have to pay royalties)
>I don't understand licenses very well, as I'm more interested in programming. I
>think the intent was to use the source converter to convert Gecko headers, not
>Qt widgets over AppKit (both are great stuff compared with other toolkits, that
>we don't like to talk about ;-) ).
>
>But I would expect that if you adapt a GPL'd source converter, you end up with
>a GPL'd source converter. On the other hand, there is no reason why the
>generated sources have to be GPL'd, as far as I know. They can have a Mozilla
>license header, or whatever you like.

This is not a GPL issue (thank gawd). Qt has it's own license which everybody
using it ought to be aware off. If you want to do any commercial development
for KDE for example you have to pay royalties to Troll Tech. I think they are
taking the Troll metaphor too far, but oh well. |-)

Just stick with AppKit controls.