Library Paths?

From: Steve Núñez
Subject: Library Paths?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:57:36 +0000

Hi All,

I've been waiting (for over a year), for GNUStep to mature enough for general
purpose use. Now that it appears to have done so, I've just installed the
latest release on a Redhat 7.0 machine (with patches).

The kind of systems we're writing are servers, without a GUI, so we're not
interested in the AppKit (at least not yet). I've followed the LogTest example
that I found on the gnustep.org site and created a simple application. However
I can't seem to run this application without using 'openapp'. If I try to run
it directly from the command line, as I do other ObjC applications I've written
on this platform, it complains:

./LogTest
./LogTest: error while loading shared libraries:
/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xdps/libgnustep-base.so.0:
 undefined symbol: __objc_msg_forward

And this is after adding
/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xdps to the
/etc/ld.so.conf file.

So, my question is: is it possible to write stand alone server apps with the
FoundationKit, and how can they be run from the command line? What sort of
library paths (perhaps LD_LIBRARY_PATH?) is required?

Also, if anyone has any further information on using the GNUStep makefiles in
this environment, I'd like to read it. The examples from someone (Nicoli?) seem
geared torward GUI applications.

Regards,
        - Steve Nunez