Re: portability beetween openstep and gnustep

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: portability beetween openstep and gnustep
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:52:28 -0600

Nicola Pero wrote:

> > I'm currently porting an application running on
> > openstep to make it word on gnustep.
> > But i ran in one big problem, all basic functions
> > implemented in openstep are not present in gnustep.
>
> These functions are part of the Apple runtime, while GNUstep uses the GNU
> Objective-C runtime.
>
> > That the case for the following functions :
> >
> > id objc_getMetaClass(const char *name)
>
> These functions (or the equivalent functions) are present in the GNU
> Objective-C runtime as well, but usually with a different name; sometime
> with a slightly different syntax and/or API.

GNUstep has a header <base/objc-gnu2next.h> which converts some of the
GNU functions to Apple equivalents. More might need to be added. PLus
some don't have equivalents. For instance, I don't believe there is an
equivalent for objc_getClassList.

In general you should try to avoid runtime specific functions and use
just functions available in OpenStep.