Re: Re[2]: core archive corrupted

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Re[2]: core archive corrupted
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 00:11:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- Manuel Guesdon <ml@sbuilders.com> wrote:
> Hi Gregory,
>
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 23:20:21 -0700 (PDT) Gregory Casamento
> <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>  >| I downloaded the same archive from www.peanuts.org and it worked!  :)
> The
>  >| md5sum is:
>  >|
>  >| 75505a82b1d8152415628d913f2ca3c8
> /home/heron/Archives/core.20010807.tar.bz2
>  >|
>  >| which matches the one from Manuel.  I tried ftp.gnustep.org a couple of
> times
>  >| and had the problem described below, except w/ the md5sum of:
>  >|
>  >| 6815f2d0378a43210bf12b5ebb38f757
>  >|
>  >| The md5sum on previous downloads was different each time.  The method
> used for
>  >| download in all cases was binary.  This result seems to support the
[.....snip.....]

> I've tried from different computers and networks (in France only) and get the
> good md5sum.
> It's very strange because as Tyson say, this would mean that there is no crc
> control in FTP and that your packets
> checksum are recomputed.

Strange.

> When you download the file, do you use (volontary or not) a proxy ?

I am not going through a proxy of any kind.   All I know is that when I
download the file multiple times I get a different md5sum each time (a file is
attached which demonstrates this).  When I download it from peanuts, like I
said above, it works just fine.

> The only  2 other things I see is a a compromission of the serveur by a
> hacker with a special sense of humour or a bug
> in proftpd last version.

I doubt it's a hacker.  Have there been any significant updates to the server
since 7/31/2001? (the date this started)

Thanks, GJC

> Manuel
> --
> Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <mguesdon@oxymium.net>
> 14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
> Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998

=====
Gregory John Casamento