Re: Transparency issues + context menus

From: Marko Mikulicic
Subject: Re: Transparency issues + context menus
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:52:51 -0400

Georg Fleischmann wrote:
Are there some issues from not moving this hack into NSCell (API or not)
? Can I simply quickly move this hack down to NSCell ?

I didn't write the code and I'm not a maintainer of GNUstep, but I can't see any issues.
Take a look at -drawInteriorWithFrame:
NSButtonCell uses the method -setBackgroundColor: to set the background color of the image.

Implementing alpha in the backend would solve this problem (any work on
that?).

I haven't seen anyone working on this for a year now. I think that answers the question.

Yes. Thanks.
I have fixed my code. I was just wondering if NSCells
had to do it automatically but obviously the cannot know the background
color and they cannot assume NSColor controlBackground.
I have difficulities to see what is the standard OpenStep behavior
and what's a missing GNUstep feature / bug.

Another question: what for is used the NSMenu object in NSCells.
For context menu ?

It should be related to the menu methods of the cell:

- (void)setMenu:(NSMenu *)aMenu

Associates a menu with the cell that has commands contextually related to the cell (a pop-up menu on Windows).

Who should call +NSMenu popUpContextMenu:withEvent:forView: ?
I see this feature is not yet implemented, but should not be too hard.
I could give it a try. Has anyone taken that ?
(Fred ?)

Marko