Re: installing apps automatically in the ~/GNUstep/Apps folder

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: installing apps automatically in the ~/GNUstep/Apps folder
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:28:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Martin Brecher wrote:

> [...]
>
> >Perhaps we could extend this to be something like
> >
> >make install install-into=system
> >make install install-into=local
> >make install install-into=network
> >make install install-into=user
>
> yeah, that sounds good; or maybe installdir= or just dir= ?

this may lead to the assumption that an ordinary directory is
needed as argument :-/

what about destination or just dest= ?
(like the DEST(DIR) variable as often seen in (old) Makefiles)

even better:

make install                 (use default location)
make install-system          (use system directory)
make install-network          ...

or something similar

You would think a 'user' install should be used if you don't have
permissions to install in the default way (probably 'local', depending
on the application).

however this could confuse people (e.g. a forgotten
'su' before 'make install'). I don't know whether the user should
be prompted in this case or just being warned or the install should fail.

Any ideas ?

Greetings, Max