Alloc debugging

From: Marko Mikulicic
Subject: Alloc debugging
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 00:53:05 -0400

Hello,

Has someone tried to malloc-debug a AppKit app under linux?

I've tried with efence and njamd (my own and Ink.app)
but it stops saying that it cannot mmap more pages.
 Since these debuggers reserve a page for each allocations
they call mmap for every allocation, an the linux kernel (2.4.x)
puts a limit on the number of mmaps (65536).
 This means that more than 65536 allocations are made (objects?)
during the startup of a simple app like Ink.app.
 Is this normal ?

How can I debug memory related bugs in gnustep ?
(I already use the memory panel for tracking memory leaks,
and I track retain count of interesting objects but I want
to control buffer over/underflows)

Marko