Re: objective-c: how slow ?

From: Malmberg
Subject: Re: objective-c: how slow ?
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 01:17:08 +0200

> Hi Alexander,
>
> Could you please send me your patches or upload it somewhere ?
> I'll try to port it on gcc 3.0.
> I need more raw speed processing hudge data with gstep-db.

I've uploaded the patch to:

http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42303319/gcc-objc.diff

and the optimized functions in:

http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42303319/sendmsg_alex.S

(which goes in the libobjc/ directory). It's a bit messy and not very
portable, but it works. It should be fairly easy to change the functions
in sendmsg_alex.S so they return the function-pointer instead of jumping
to it (which would use the current call style instead of the one I use).
Really early testing seemed to show that it performed slightly better
that way, but the new call style did reduce code size of base and gui by
~10%, which may be enough to compensate.

Anyway, this discussion has made me think more about how to optimize
message passing, so I guess I'll get gcc 3.0 and start experimenting
again. I'm a bit sceptical of actually gaining any significant amount of
speed, though.

> Thanks
>
> Marko

- Alexander Malmberg