Re: GNUstep on FreeBSD

From: Igor Roboul
Subject: Re: GNUstep on FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:37:23 +0400

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 12:06:47PM +0200, Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> what you are describing is what would happen if the characters you want
> to display in the gui are not supported by the used fonts. Could you
> please try to find out which encoding is used for the fonts? I think you
> will have to add a NSLog statement in [XGFontInfo  initWithFontName:
> matrix:] just print out the xfontname. The font encoding should match
With any locale, with any order of FontPaths in XF86Config it tries to
use "*-koi8-r" font. If I completely remove FontPath for koi8-r fonts
(which is not option for normal work), then after failing to load koi8
font it fallbacks to 'fixed'.

But I could not understand why GNUstep can't use koi8-r fonts? These
have ASCII on same places as latin1 etc.

And second, why GNUstep tries use KOI8 font even with non-russian
locales?