Re: README.Mingw not quite right

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: README.Mingw not quite right
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:02:52 -0600

Stephen Brandon wrote:

I just re-read gnustep-make/Documentation/README.MinGW and
saw what I thought might be the answer to my questions:

/***********************************/
export GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=//c/mingw/GNUstep/System

I also install a special script in the file
~/GNUstep/GNUstep.sh with the
lines:

if [ $GNUSTEP_HOST_OS = "mingw32" ]; then
  GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=`cygpath -w $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT | tr
'\\\' '/'`
fi
/************************************/

Unfortunately this does not work either. It simply changes
the forward slashes to back slashes, then back to forward
ones again with 'tr'. The resulting paths don't work for
MinGW or Cygwin.

It should work. The point is the PATH variable is unchanged and includes the //c/ syntax which cygwin shell understands. After the PATH is set, the special script is run which redefines GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT in a way that both cygwin and mingw tools should be able to understand. i.e.

gcc -I$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Headers ...

where $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT is c:/usr/GNUstep/System (MingW should still be able to understand the forward slashes, at least the version I have.)

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics            | Fudd's law of opposition: Push
fedor@doc.com  http://www.doc.com     | something hard enough, and it