Re: UTF8 encoding!

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: UTF8 encoding!
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:42:45 +0200 (CEST)

> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:05:46 +0100
> From: Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
>
> Perhaps it should go like this -
>
> Can the message be converted to ascii?
>    If so, log ascii data
> Can the message be converted to the default cString encoding?
>    If so, log 8-bit data in the default encoding
> otherwise, log UTF8
>
> Anyone know?

It all depends on  the terminal or file used. The xterm  I use is able
to  display 8-bit  iso-latin-1 characters.  If I  wrote  program using
UTF8, I  guess I'd use  a UTF8  capable terminal, or  log to a  file I
would read with a UTF8 capable editor.

Therefore, I would  say that the best  thing to do would be  to have a
default, or an environment variable specifying the wanted encoding for
NSLog, and if it's not present to use the above algorithm.

(I guess  that the UTF8 encoding  of a unicode  string containing only
ASCII  character is composed  exactly of  these ASCII  characters, and
it's perhaps  true also for iso-latin-1  characters. Therefore, loggin
always in UTF8 may be almost as good a solution as that algorithm).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around