Re: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 26-10-2001

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 26-10-2001
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:14:10 +0100

[...]
> The  features of  Preferences.app are  not fixed,  it  loads dynamicly
> modules   from  (/NextApps/Preferences.app,  /NextLibrary/Preferences,
> /LocalLibrary/Preferences). [...]

GNUstep's Preferences.app should also be based on modules/bundles. As it is
done with the entire GNUstep system - modularization leads to flexibility and
less dependencies.

This way it might also be useful if GNUstep applications could have their
preferences set using Preferences.app (app's preferences panel loaded as
bundle).

Also wappers for non-gnustep apps should be possible to launch the
corresponding configuration programs (Window Maker's WPrefs, KDE Control
Center, SuSE's YaST & YaST2 etc).

Also, what I like about Mac OS X's new Preferences is that it can be organized
in categories. By the huge amount of settings you can change on a system this
is very very useful and user friendly. Then we could even have extra categories
for different operating systems/distributions.

What do you think?

Greetings,
Martin