Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of ProprietarySoftware

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GNUStep: An Apology for Announcing Donation of ProprietarySoftware to the Project
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:25:21 -0500

Fred Kiefer wrote:

> I don't want to add more mails to this discussion, I just want to state
> that I can't agree more to what Nicola wrote. I would not be working on
> GNUstep if this project wasn't under LGPL and this is more important
> than what ever I think of the original announcement or the apology or
> even of paid software as a general issue. And of course Adam is no
> "dolt" (A term I had to look up in my copy of Webster's. Isn't free
> software great, we learn so many new things every day...).

[snip]

Actually, I don't think this discussion, as it was started, had ANYTHING to do
with the licenses involved. It's not about LGPL vs. GPL vs. BSD vs. anything
else -- it's about GNU, and the differences between Stallman-style Free
Software and Debian-style Free Software, also known as Open Source. Both
styles accept the same licenses, but Stallman's version is basically that no
one should have the right to create proprietary software, while Debian's
version is that we don't have to use it and don't have to support it, but
we're just fine with it existing.