.tex .pdf backend for autogsdoc worth the trouble?

From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn
Subject: .tex .pdf backend for autogsdoc worth the trouble?
Date: 22 Dec 2001 21:30:02 +0100

A time ago I wrote an .tex, .pdf backend for AutoDoc.
Now that autogsdoc is around I might take a stab
at porting this backend to autogsdoc.

But I am a little confused.  I looked at it briefly,
and there are two programs

- autogsdoc, producing .gsdoc and .html from source
- gsdoc, .html from .gsdoc.

Now what is the status of gsdoc?  Is this the basis sequence?

        autogsdoc            handtune         gsdoc
source -----------> .gsdoc  ---------> .gsdoc -----> .html

If so, adding a .tex backend to autogsdoc is pointless.

Note on properties of the .tex backend of AutoDoc.

- producing .tex files looking like the NextStep docs
- producing from .tex the .pdf files, containing
  links.

external tools used:

  tex  (plain)
  dvipdfm

Knowing this, is it worthwhile to add such an backend?

Wim Oudshoorn.