Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 17:18:59 -0500

Gregory Casamento wrote:

[snip]

> I am wondering why this worked on my system before the update.   I've
> had this default activated for a number of months now with no problems.
>  Hrmmm.

The code _used_ to select fonts by pixel size. Asking for a 12-point font gave
you a 12-pixel font. Now it gives you a 12-point font (well, 120 decipoints --
X's "point size" item in XLFD is in tenths of a point, so that you can give it
fractional point sizes without using floating-point numbers) like it should.
If the rest of the GUI elements were vector-based (a very nice thing), it
could look quite nice. If that clipping problem is solved, of course.

The idea here is that a 72-point font should always be an inch tall, from the
bottom of the descender to the top of the ascender, regardless of the
resolution of the screen. More pixels on the same size screen ought to make
things look better, not just smaller.

>From the xgps ChangeLog:

2001-12-20  Fred Kiefer  <FredKiefer@gmx.de>

        * Source/SharedX/XGDragView.m
        [draggingSourceOperationMask] take the modifiers into account.
        [_handleDrag:] check the targetmask before doing a drop.
        [XGRawWindow initWithContentRect...] removed.
        * Tools/font_cacher.m
        Extracted method [processPattern:]. [creationNameFromParts:] now
        use point size instead of pixel size. Changed cache version to 3.
        * Source/XGFontManager.m
        Adopted to changes in font cacher. Now fonts are selecteced via
        the points size, which may be a bit different for non 75x75
        resolutions.
        * Source/XGFont.m
        [setupAttributes] better diagnostic when loading of font fails.