Re: OPENSTEP 4.2 vmware SVGA

From: Frederic Stark
Subject: Re: OPENSTEP 4.2 vmware SVGA
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:34:08 +0100

[Sorry for the spam. I know that discuss-gnustep is not appropriate to talk about writing a driver for a proprietary system under a proprietary virtual machine]

Stefan Boehringer wrote:
Hello Fred,

Hi,

I guess you are going to become the hero of all the OPENSTEP veterans ;-) (I'm one of the impatient and would appreciate receiving your code).

It is _really_ ugly for now (full of hard-coded values, half-baked tests and desesperate attemps, coded in a 640x480 OPENSTEP virtualized machine). It is surprisingly small (250 lines, mostly debug and dead code. Probably 20 real lines max). I promise a less dramatic release this week-end (in the meantime, the ugly one is at http://www.chez.com/fstark/VMWareSVGA.tar.gz , source and binary. Supports only 1024x768 24bits. [sorry for the web-bugged ridden chez.com site, but I can't think of any better place to put it]).

In principal vmware is supposed to support frame buffer access, i.e. it runs without any additional vmware-graphics driver. I think it works at least for windows. I have not tried Openstep on vmware yet, but does it work seamlessly under VGA resolution?

Yes. And, if I understood the thing correctly, under windows, it can also work under VESA. But the OPENSTEP VESA driver request a mode (106h, IIRC) that is not supported by vmware.

If so, I would rather have a closer look at your driver.

Well, there is so little to do in a framebuffer driver that I don't see what I could have done wrong.

>From what I heard from the list vmware Inc. seems to be very cooperative (license donation). Perhaps the contacts used earlier could work again and some information of the exact way of "screen virtualization" by vmware could be acquired.

I plan to post on the vmware newsgroup when I'll have enough information and a presentable semi-working driver.

Personally I would hope for a direct access to the frame buffer in full screen mode (as I understand it both the virtualization and XFree could allow for direct access), but this is clearly beyond our control.

I hoped that too, but it don't seem to be the case (at least on my video hardware)

I do not understand how you would like to force flushing.

There is a register command for that (ie: I can force the virtualized SVGA board to flush a part of the screen).

> If you remain
in your virtualized machine, all you can do is modifying the frame buffer and hoping for the virtualizer to reflect your changes properly. If vmware doesn't this is clearly a vmware "bug".

Yes, but as OPENSTEP is not a supported system...

> Otherwise you have to
cooperate with the virtualizing application (i.e. vmware) itself to direct it to the rectangles to flush.

Yep.

Cheers,

--fred