Re: Add another encoding

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Add another encoding
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:02:01 +0000

On Thursday, March 7, 2002, at 06:17 PM, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

  I want to ask whether GNUstep can add another encoding
for Traditional Chinese in NSString.h, Unicode.m and other related files.
  The encoding for Traditional Chinese is "BIG5".
  So the encoding name could be NSBIG5StringEncoding or
  something else which is suitable.
And the name for iconv is "BIG5" in Unicode.m in iconv_stringforencoding()
method.

Ok. will do that.

In general I see no problem with adding encodings, it would seem silly to
restrict ourselves to the old OpenStep ones or even to the MacOS-X ones.
The only thing is, if/when MacOS-X does support these encodings, we would
probably want to change our names to match theirs.

  It is not publicly supported in Cocoa, but I think it can be added as
GNUstep additions
  as NSGSM0338StringEncoding, etc.
  And MacOS X must use some private methods to support Big5
  because it have Traditional Chinese version.

  By the way, in System/Libraries/Resources/Languages/Locale.aliases,
  could GNUstep also add another alias as "zh_TW = TraditionalChinese".

Done that too.

Please try it out and let me know if I missed anything.