Re: switch to XHTML

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: switch to XHTML
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:12:45 -0500

Pete French wrote:

> > Because it was intended to be written by humans, for other humans to
> > read, write, and modify.
>
> I guess we draw opposite conclusions from the same starting point then.
> I totally agree with the above, but (for me) being human means that
> being used to inserting capitals and small letters as appropriate is
> second nature and is something I have been taught as part of writing my
> own language from a very early stage.

Here's an example of how I write HTML (interspersed with PHP):

<TABLE width="100%" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" border="0">
    <TR vAlign="top">
        <TD colSpan="2"><?      // News display
            tableBoxHeader (featureBgColor, featureHeadColor);
            tableTitle ('Latest News', 1, featureHeadColor);
            need ("news");
            $cached = latestNews (5);
            tableBoxFooter ();
        ?></TD>
    </TR>
<TABLE>

Enforcing the use of all lower-case definitely decreases the readability of
this source. For example, what's does "colspan" mean? Even though my HTML
could be easily converted into XHTML (I don't usually use tags that aren't
paired), I'm not going to do it because it puts an additional hassle into the
mix, that being that I have to decypher what I've written.