NSMutableData memcpy vs. memmove

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: NSMutableData memcpy vs. memmove
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:35:04 +0100

Hi,

I noticed that [NSMutableData -replaceBytesInRange: withBytes:] uses
memcpy() when copying the new bytes into its mutableBytes. This means
that eg.:

NSMutableData *foo;
[foo replaceBytesInRange: NSMakeRange(5,[foo length]) withBytes: [foo
bytes]];

isn't safe. The docs I have don't say anything about how overlapping
should be handled, but it seems safer to use memmove() anyway. If it
should remain like it is, the behavior should at least be documented.

- Alexander Malmberg