TZ and i18n files.

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: TZ and i18n files.
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:36:25 -0500

Please, don't kill me for asking this question. :)

While working on the final build for LinuxSTEP 0.2.5, I ran across something that made me go "hrmm".

I was making the package of glibc 2.2.5, and realised that I now had two places to specify timezones and i18n stuff. GNUstep has it's own directories for that, as does glibc.

I know that it would break portability to have GNUstep depend on those files from glibc, as not every system uses it. However, if the files are similar (as I believe they all come from a common source), would adding, say, --with-alt-tz=/path/to/files and --with-alt-i18n=/path/to/files be a horrific thing? That way, you'd only have one place on the filesystem containing those types of files, instead of two. Not to mention, it would make my life easier on LinuxSTEP. ;)

Let me just point out that I'm not totally familiar with this specific topic, so this is just a curiosity post.

--

Tim Harrison
harrison@timharrison.com