Re: Eclipse

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Eclipse
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:33:32 +0100

Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
Hi,

nothing against Eclipse, but it is written in Java and thus IMHO not an option for GNUstep.

Hm, why do you think so ?? There even is JIGS ? A nice thing about Eclipse is, that it doesn't use Swing but native widgets. That way, it very fast even on older computers (I tried on 400Mhz Celeron).

Maybe a GNUstep backend is possible ;-)

May I ask why you are interested in it?

Because somebody has shown me Eclipse and I was impressed by stability and speed. Further because Eclipse by definition seems to aim for integration with other build systems and file formats. So it's not Java centric at all, even though it uses Java as it's implementation language.

PS: I have a good friend and ex-coworker working now on the eclipse editor, so I guess it must be good software...*g*

At least the Windows version seems to be excellent. I just tried the gtk+ snapshot and this wasn't as good (very slow ...).

Greetings
  Helge