Re: build error trying to install from FreeBSD ports

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: build error trying to install from FreeBSD ports
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:23:19 -0700

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:58:26 -0700
Dan Grillo <Dan_Grillo@grillo.net> wrote:
> GNUstep folks,
> I'd really like to run GWorkspace, so I thought I'd get the stack
> up and running.
> I'm using the latest freebsd ports of the gnustep sources.

The ports for GNUstep are pretty much outdated and do not install
all dependencies. I'd recommend using CVS ...

Anyway, you will need to have
  - devel/ffcall
  - textproc/libxml2
  - math/libgmp (FreeBSD base install)
  - security/openssl (FreeBSD base install)
  - lang/guile (optional)
  - x11-wm/windowmaker (optional, but recommended)
  - graphics/tiff (if you don't install windowmaker)
  - print/teTeX (if you want to 'make' the documentation)

Those should be installed *prior* to installing GNUstep.

Unfortunately, textproc/libxml2 is kinda broken -- gnustep-base's configure
won't "see" the includes as xml2-config reports a wrong path.
You can "fix" it by hand

- go to /usr/local/include/libxml2
- ln -s libxml/* .

I know it's not nice, but it works ...

The GNUstep.sh startup script and gdomap_if that come with lang/gnustep-base
are bogus -- you will need to edit both by hand after gnustep-base is
installed

In /usr/local/etc/gdomap_if, change the line

  127.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

to your real IP and netmask, eg. in my case:

  64.95.194.245 255.255.255.224

In /usr/local/etc/rc.d/GNUstep.sh change the startup part to

  start)
    if [ -e ${GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT}/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh ]; then
      . ${GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT}/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

      rm -f ${PIDFILE}
      OPTIONS="-a ${IFFILE} -I ${PIDFILE}"
      opentool gdomap ${OPTIONS} && echo -n ' GNUstep'

      opentool gdnc && echo -n ' GDNCServer'
      opentool gpbs && echo -n ' GPBServer'
    fi
    ;;

If you start X11 *after* GNUstep.sh, you should move the startup for gpbs
to a seperate file in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d
Note, that gpbs WILL dump core upon system shutdown/halt ...

Hope that helps,

--
Chris