Re: New release of libart/freetype-backend

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: New release of libart/freetype-backend
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:16:48 -0600

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
GSSet(Stroke,Fill)(Color,Colorspace)
aren't implemented since I don't know what they're supposed to do. None
of the other backends implement them, and gui never uses them. Why do
they exist?

That's for Quartz compatibilty. Quartz defines different colors for
stroking and filling, mostly for convienience I suppose. Also see some
of the GS functions in the Text section. I think some of this can be
implemented in gsc, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'll get the pdf reference manual and see if I can figure out how
they're supposed to work.

OK, but note that the methods in NSGraphicsContext don't necessarily consitute a Quartz interface, they just make it possible to implement one in the front end. For instance, Quartz has severl SetColorspace functions. I use OO to reduce this to one method plus a dictionary where you specify the values.

My original plan was to start out by using freetype and switching to
pango when I had a working version, ie. now, but when I started looking
closer at that I noticed that Pango requires glib 2.0 :/. Having gnustep
depend on glib seems wrong.

True, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. We have plenty of other things to do.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you