Re: Proposal question.

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Proposal question.
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 21:41:43 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Tim Harrison <tim@linuxstep.org>
> Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 15:18:13 -0400
> [...]
> One of the things I found odd about the Users domain was that it was the
> only of the four that broke from the $(DOMAIN)/[structure] format.
> Having, for example, /home/harrison/GNUstep/[Library|etc...] was odd, in
> comparison to $((USER_DOMAIN)=/home/$(username))/[Library|etc...].
>
> In this case, the only two directories (based on my proposal) that would
> be added to the user's home directory would be ~/Library and ~/Tools,
> with the structure under that being similar to the other domains.
>
> Now, if people don't want to add extra visible directories to their home
> dirs, I can understand that.  Under LinuxSTEP, those directories exist
> anyway, so there's no harm.  Maybe that's a bit of my LinuxSTEP FH
> design sneaking in.  However, in an integrated system, I don't see why
> there has to be a ~/GNUstep directory, or even a ~/.GNUstep directory.
> It becomes an unnecessary namespace, in relation to the other domains.
> Plus, why do Library and Tools have to be hidden from the user?  Maybe
> they want to be able to easily see the contents of those parts of the
> structure?

Note that GWorkspace.app,  like WorkspaceManager.app honor the .hidden
files and merely putting "Library"  and "Tools" in the .hidden file of
$HOME is  enough to have  it hidden (under GWorkspace).   Unix experts
set  their "unix  expert"  option  in the  preferences  to ignore  the
.hidden files and to show all the interesting items.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around

You're a web designer?   Please read http://www.useit.com/alertbox/ !