Re: Look & feel, future plans

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Look & feel, future plans
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 23:36:40 -0400

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 05:01 PM, Bissell, Tim wrote:
>

> > * Themes
> > Anything which changed pixel dimensions of widgets is a no-no given
> > the OpenStep approach to GUI layout.  Being able to change colours,
> > textures and gradients on the buttons etc. is a fairly minor gain
> > relative to the recoding effort required to implement it (let alone
> > the gain in API cruft)
>
> One little point ... you can already change colors by using user
> defaults to set alternative system colors.

Yes, but there's a problem with this if you use Gorm. The same problem exists
with fonts and font sizes.

If I set the color defaults, or my font defaults, they are encoded in the
.gorm file. So not only does my system get my settings, but everyone else
does, too.

IB had options for setting font and color information such that the user's
colors were used instead of the developer's -- Gorm does not yet have this
capability.