Global Defaults / look and feel

From: Ian Jones
Subject: Global Defaults / look and feel
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 02:45:43 +0000

HI,

I saw something about setting global defaults for colour of gnustep UI
components in a mail about look and feel, I looked into it a bit further and
have read the overview (http://gnustep.net/Documentation/DefaultSummary.html)
but is there any documentation anywhere to tell people what exactly is
available for the user to set and how to set it?
I have through a great deal of trial and error and asking around managed to
change the colours of UI components but stuff like fonts, anti aliasing and
whatever else a user may wish to change should be modifyable easily maybe
through bundles as an extention to one of the prefs apps that are available. I
think people may like to have an easy way to make global changes to their
gnustep applications look and feel. If noone else is interested in doing it
then I may have a go myself.. though I am trying to write a chat client and my
objC skills are pretty weak, could take me forever but I'm never short of ideas.
www.3rddimension.digital-bushido.org/screenshots/greenmail.png
This example may not be too pretty but this kinda option certainly makes
GNUstep look less grey (not that there's anything wrong with grey) and would
give the user the ability to change their UI components using the colour picker
maybe (someone mentioned it may not be fully implemented or broken, can anyone
confirm / deny this?) or present some default themes (not quite as radical as
my green, though I did a far more contrasting one in purple and yellow I
thought i'd spare your retinas :) ).
Basicaly I think extending one of the prefs apps with bundles for altering the
all available / desirable gnustep defaults would be a damn good idea.

Regards, Ian