Re: Directory Layout

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: Directory Layout
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:51:06 -0400

Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Everything else is moved into the Library directory. One more thing I

I think, that it is more appropriate for the Headers and Makefiles to go
to the System/Developer directory so it will be less confusing for

I think it would be more confusing to the normal user if one moved those things into System/Developer.

GNUstep, to me, at least, is already a series of development libs, tools, and bits. There's no need to separate headers and makefiles from libraries. You just add more to the structure, but gain nothing.

Not having an OS X box sitting in front of me, I asked someone for a listing of the contents into any Developer directories on OS X. It seems to me that the only headers that reside in there are the Carbon headers, installed with the developer tools (?). The rest are with the System. I'd suggest that from what I can see, "Developer" on OS X is almost synonymous with "System" or even "Local" on GNUstep. So, keeping Headers and Makefiles within System/Library is logical, and remains somewhat compliant with OS X's System layout.

Directories that I see in Developer on OS X that live in System on GNUstep are:

Headers
Documentation
Applications
Makefiles
Tools

There may be more, and I'm too otherwise occupied at the moment to continue sorting through the tens of thousands of lines of output looking for more examples.

Also, for an integrated development environment, there really isn't much of a difference between the developer and regular user libs and headers. I think making further distinctions would be unnecessarily superfluous.

However, I may be wrong. :)

normal user. Moving the GNUstep.sh and GNUstep.csh to the Tools
directory is good idea.

I definitely agree with this. They aren't actually Makefiles, so there's really no need for them to reside in System/Makefiles.

--

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org