App-Icons

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: App-Icons
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:03:29 -0700

Hi,

Tim Harrison just mentioned on #GNUstep the low traffic on this list, so
I decided to do something about it... hopefully this does not result in
a flamewar (and I won't get stoned for heresy...)

Ok, last weekend I was playing around with a couple of window managers,
the sort that implement 'toolbars' at the bottom of your screen, and
noticed (not for the first time) that GNUstep app-icons are usually
mapped _behind_ the toolbar ... quite annoying. Yes, I know, Window Maker
is supposed to be used (right now) or at least works best.

Anyway, let's assume we have a window manager, that uses an Atom, say
WM_WILL_HANDLE_APP_ICONS, indicating that it will take complete control
over GNUstep app-icons, GNUstep then would create the icon, set the
appropriate Atoms - but does not map the icon to the lower left corner.
Instead, the window manager is free to do whatever it feels is right.

That way, if the Atom doesn't exist (or isn't set) nothing is b0rken,
as GNUstep would act as it does right now. If it is, the window manager
can stack icons anywhere it (or the user) wants.

The advantage would be ... let's also assume, that particular window
manager, eg. Ian's WM (aka Interface), has a bundle that implements
the "toolbar" as proposed for OpenStep 4.2 (IIRC) ...

IWM could then set the Atom and put the app-icon inside the "toolbar",
instead of having the GNUstep app-icons at the lower left corner of your
screen. The result would be a much "cleaner" looking desktop.

As I said, it's just an idea, something to think about, not a call for
a flamewar...

--
Chris