Re: GPL & Subclassing

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GPL & Subclassing
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:47:55 +0100

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 02:38 PM, Marco Scheurer wrote:

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 02:58  pm, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

I think you can't. As soon as you incorporate GPLed code you should release
your code as GPL.

If the product using that code is to be released at all. You can use GPL code in internal projects without releasing the source code.

Also, it was my understanding that GNUSTEP is LGPL, not GPL, ie that a product can include the libraries and is not required to be released as GPL (only changes made to the libraries should be released). In that case what is the license of a single source file taken from the library? Wouldn't it be possible to make another LGPL library, with only that file, and use it?

I think so ... though of course you would have to distribute that new library with your product ... and therefore would need to release the source of the changes you
made to the original code.